Competition for young choreographers
The young choreographers competition has become the main event of the Context. Diana Visheva festival. It aims to discover, support and cultivate the emerging talent of modern dance choreography in Russia. Every year since 2013 the expert panel reviews hundreds of entries and selects finalists. The shorlisted choreographers then stage and present their works to the international jury comprised of some of the biggest names in choreography, as well as to Moscow and St. Petersburg audiences.
When and Where
October 2019, Moscow, St. Petersburg
Who Can Participate
We seek brave, ambitious, open-minded choreographers. Applicants must be Russian nationals under 37 years of age. Neither formal dance training nor your dance style or creative preferences are important. All you need is to have an original idea and be willing to share it.
30 June 2019
How to Apply
To apply please provide a detailed proposal of your piece. Your choreographic intention must meet the following criteria:
1. The length of the piece is limited to between 6 and 10 minutes;
2. The required number of performers is from 2 to 8;
3. The work has to be created for the purpose of the 7th Context. Diana Vishneva festival;
4. Any changes to the concept of the work, its subject, genre or number of performers therein are not permitted throughout the competition;
5. All applicants must submit a rehearsal video of the work they wish to present at the competition, along with a detailed explanation of the idea.
6. Finalists must submit (unedited ) video recordings of their completed works no later than 1 month before the opening of the festival.
April – June: application stage;
July – August: selection of finalists;
September – October: production of the piece;
October: competition finale, award ceremony.
The festival assists the contestants in producing their works and transforming their artistic vision into reality. We provide both studio and stage rehearsals, while our technical staff help with lighting plots, sound settings and the adaptation of choreographies to each stage.
Finalists get to show their pieces in the leading theatres of Moscow and St. Petersburg during the Context. Diana Vishneva festival. The winner will receive a grant for a training programme at one of the world’s best dance companies or contemporary dance centres. The winner will also be able to present the work he will have choreographed during the programme / the results of this experience as a special guest at the festival next year.
Traditionally, the jury features the founder and art director of the festival Diana Vishneva, the festival’s programme curator, as well as world-renowned masters of choreography. In previous years permanent jury members have been joined by (the likes of) Hans van Manen, Mats Ek, ....... etc.
Competition Rules and Regulations (In Russian, PDF)
Additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org